LISLE, Ill. – May 28, 2008 – For the growing server-storage market, Molex Incorporated (NASDAQ: MOLX and MOLXA) introduced the latest addition to its iPass product family. For systems with boards fixed to one side of the chassis, the new stacked dual port connector makes it possible to double the I/O bandwidth without a mechanical redesign of the system enclosures.
According to Tiffany Vandervelde, associate product manager, Molex Incorporated, “Existing solutions require a belly-to-belly implementation to achieve SAS double port density. The iPass dual port connector will enable system implementers to meet I/O bandwidth requirements that are increasing exponentially with evolving new standards.” Vandervelde added, “As a driver of industry standards, Molex will continue to design new products that meet these requirements.”
Each port on the dual port connector includes eight differential pairs, creating four lanes, each capable of 12 Gbps. Total bandwidth enabled through the dual port assembly is 96 Gbps. Moreover, the stacked connector integrates two individual SAS 4x ports into a single assembly. Additional features and benefits include:
- Double port density, so there is no “beachfront” increase compared to the current single port product;
- An integrated press-fit connector assembly with cage that provides one-step placement to PCB;
- Robust guide pins located on each side of the cage that ensures assembly alignment to PCB;
- Four integral screw-mount hold downs applied from the bottom of the PCB to provide optimal retention of die-cast assembly to the PCB without taking up additional board real estate;
- A front elastomeric EMI gasket that provides excellent EMI protection to the system face plate; and
- Four ground-pad alleys located at the rear of the die cast assembly to provide ease of routing on top layer of PCB.
Molex’s iPass dual port stacked connector accepts standard external iPass cables for standards such as Serial Attach SCSI (SAS), Serial Attach ATA (SATA), Serial rapid I/O (SRIO), and Ethernet. For more information on iPass products, visit: http://www.molex.com/product/ipass.html.
About Molex Incorporated
Molex Incorporated is a 70-year-old global manufacturer of electronic, electrical and fiber optic interconnection systems. Based in Lisle, Illinois, USA, the company operates 59 manufacturing facilities in 19 countries. The Molex website is www.molex.com.
For further information, contact:
Gibbs & Soell Inc.